ARCADIA, Calif. (Oct. 26, 2014) -- ARCADIA, CA – The California Horse Racing Board conducted its regular meeting Thursday, October 23, 2014, at Santa Anita Park. Chairman Chuck Winner presided. 1st Vice Chair Bo Derek, 2nd Vice Chair Richard Rosenberg and Commissioners Madeline Auerbach, Steve Beneto, Jesse Choper and George Krikorian were in attendance.
The audio of this entire Board meeting is available on the CHRB Website (www.chrb.ca.gov) under the Webcast link. In brief:
- The Board approved the Los Angeles Turf Club’s license application for a race meet at Santa Anita from December 26, 2014, through June 28, 2015. Santa Anita President Tom Ludt reported that the Stronach Group has invested more than $30 million in improvements to the facility over the last 18 months, including replacement of the main track with materials consistent with the existing track at Los Alamitos and the new track that will be in place at Del Mar for the 2015 summer meet, providing uniformity of racing surfaces at all Southern California tracks.
- The Medication and Track Safety Committee reported its support for proposed changes to CHRB Rule 1843.3 that would prohibit suspended trainers from transferring horses to employees, prevent the use of the trainer’s signage and other identifiable tack during suspension, and reduce from 60 days to 45 days the trigger for a suspended trainer to forfeit stall space and related restrictions. Staff will be drafting various alternatives, including a suggestion to lower the trigger to 30 days and suggestions for more detailed language to prevent suspended licensees from benefiting financially during a period of suspension. The Committee members will be meeting with stakeholders for their input prior to the Board considering this matter at the November 20 meeting.
- The Board approved the license application for the Pacific Racing Association to conduct a race meet at Golden Gate Fields from December 26, 2014, through June 14, 2015.
- The Board approved the license application for the Los Alamitos Horse Racing Association to conduct a thoroughbred race meet at Los Alamitos from December 3 through December 23.
- The Board approved the license application for Watch and Wager LLC to conduct a harness race meet at Cal Expo from December 26, 2014, through May 3, 2015.
- The Board approved for 45-day public notice a proposed regulatory amendment providing that a horse is ineligible to start in any race in California if the horse is on the Veterinarian’s List in another racing jurisdiction, unless with prior approval of the stewards.
- The Board approved for 45-day public notice a proposed regulatory amendment eliminating the maximum restriction on the number of samples that may be taken and adding horses subject to testing that are registered to race at a California track, nominated to race, and/or pre-entered to race.
- The Board approved the distribution of $33,514 in race day charity proceeds by the Los Alamitos Quarter Horse Racing Association to five beneficiaries.
- The Medication and Track Safety Committee reported on the previous day’s meeting and efforts to place greater restrictions on the administration of cobalt, lower the authorized thresholds for ketoprofen and isofluprodone, and step up out-of-competition testing.