CYPRESS, Calif. (Sept. 25, 2014) -- The California Horse Racing Board conducted its regular meeting Wednesday, September 24, 2014, at Los Alamitos Race Course. Chairman Chuck Winner presided. 2nd Vice Chair Richard Rosenberg and Commissioners Madeline Auerbach, Steve Beneto, Jesse Choper and George Krikorian were in attendance.
The audio of this entire Board meeting is available on the CHRB Website (www.chrb.ca.gov) under the Webcast link. In brief:
- The Board approved the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club’s license application for a new meet that will run from November 5 through November 30 – the first fall meet at Del Mar since 1967. This meet, which uses dates previously run at Hollywood Park, will closely resemble the Santa Anita fall meet’s racing schedule, overnight purses, and wagering menu.
- Executive Director Rick Baedeker reported that changes to Rule 1844 will go into effect October 1, including a greater restriction on the use of corticosteroids in racing horses.
- The Board expressed its support for the proposed EquiLottery, which would allow Lottery players to purchase Quick Pick-style tickets on live horse races with half of each wager commingled in traditional wagering pools – subject to approval by the California Lottery.
- The Pari-Mutuel, ADW and Simulcast Committee reported on Tuesday’s meeting, which included a discussion of takeout rates. The Executive Director will be continuing this dialogue with the industry and a representative of horseplayers.
- The Board approved nominations submitted by the California Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Foundation of Joe Morris, Victor Levine, Angie Carmona and Calvin Rainey to fill seats on the Foundation’s Board of Directors.