DEL MAR, Calif. (Aug. 22, 2014) – The California Horse Racing Board conducted its regular meeting Thursday, August 21, in the Del Mar Surfside Race Place. Chairman Chuck Winner presided. 1st Vice Chair Bo Derek, 2nd Vice Chair Richard Rosenberg and Commissioners Madeline Auerbach, Steve Beneto, Jesse Choper and George Krikorian were in attendance.
The audio of this entire Board meeting is available on the CHRB Website (www.chrb.ca.gov) under the Webcast link. In brief:
- CHRB Executive Director Rick Baedeker and Dr. Rick Arthur, equine medical director for the Board, reported progress in discussions for implementing third-party Lasix administration in California horse racing. The report was the first of many planned discussions on the overall issue of race-day medications.
- Baedeker also reported on the steps being taken by safety stewards and other CHRB officials to analyze the racing surfaces at Del Mar and review other procedures in a continuing effort to provide for the safest possible racing conditions.
- Chairman Winner asked the Board’s Pari-Mutuel Operations, ADW and Simulcasting Committee to schedule for discussion a suggestion that the industry hire an expert to suggest options for determining optimum takeout levels.
- The Board approved the license application for the Big Fresno Fair to conduct a fair meet in Fresno from October 1 through October 13.
- The Board approved the license application for the Pacific Racing Association to conduct a thoroughbred meet at Golden Gate Fields from October 16 through December 21.
- The Board approved the license application for Watch and Wager LLC to conduct a harness meet at Cal Expo from October 4 through December 21. The Board also finalized the 2015 racing calendar by allocating harness dates to Cal Expo from December 26, 2014, through May 10, 2015, and from October 2, 2015, through December 20, 2015.
- The Board approved for public notice a proposed amendment for minimum jockey rider fees on mounts finishing second or third in races with purses under $10,000 to increase whenever the state minimum wage is increased by the percentage of that increase.
- The Board authorized the Executive Director to approve CHRB service contracts on behalf of the Board subject to gaining approval from the chairman or one of the vice chairs. This authorization will be reviewed annually.
- The Board approved a request from the Los Alamitos Racing Association on behalf of the Los Angeles County Fair to amend its application for the 2014 fair meet at Los Alamitos to include rolling daily doubles with a 20-percent takeout, consistent with other race meets in Southern California.