From CHRB POMONA, Calif. (Sept. 21, 2013) -- POMONA, CA – The California Horse Racing Board conducted its regular meeting Thursday, September 19, 2013, in the Fairplex Conference Center in Pomona. Chairman David Israel presided. Vice Chairman Chuck Winner and Commissioners Steve Beneto, Jesse Choper, Bo Derek, George Krikorian, and Richard Rosenberg were in attendance.
The audio of this entire Board meeting is available on the CHRB Website (www.chrb.ca.gov) under the Webcast link. In brief:
- Representatives of the Thoroughbred Owners of California, Santa Anita, Del Mar, and Los Alamitos outlined an agreement among themselves, coupled with a vote of the Stabling and Vanning Committee, whereby horses displaced by the anticipated closure of Hollywood Park on February 1, 2014, will be stabled initially at Santa Anita, Los Alamitos, Fairplex, and San Luis Rey Downs, and later at Del Mar. The Board approved these plans as outlined pending a review of the signed agreement. Final action will be taken at the October 24 meeting.
- The Board finalized the 2014 and 2015 racing calendars for Southern California, including five weeks of newly added daytime thoroughbred racing at Los Alamitos subject to enabling legislation being signed by the Governor. The Board allocated blocks of dates to the various facilities. The actual racing dates will be determined as each track submits its license application.
As allocated, the 2014 racing calendar will begin at Santa Anita Park on December 26, 2013, through July 2, 2014, followed by Los Alamitos (July 3 through July 13), Del Mar (July 16 through September 3), Fairplex (September 4 through September 23), Santa Anita (September 25 through November 2), Del Mar (November 5 through December 3), and finally Los Alamitos (December 4 through December 21).
The 2015 racing calendar will begin at Santa Anita Park on December 26, 2014, through July 1, 2015, followed by Los Alamitos (July 2 through July 12), Del Mar (July 15 through September 7), Fairplex (September 10 through September 25), Santa Anita (September 26 through October 25), Del Mar (October 28 through December 2), concluding at Los Alamitos (December 3 through December 20).
- Continuing disagreement among stakeholders over the racing calendars in Northern California prompted Chairman Israel to assign the matter to Commissioners Beneto (chair) and Choper for a possible mediation session in October if the parties do not reach agreement among themselves. However, the Board approved the initial part of the 2014 racing calendar in Northern California by allocating dates to Golden Gate (December 26, 2013, through June 15, 2014).
- The Board approved the license application for Hollywood Park to run a race meet from November 6 through December 22. Hollywood Park representatives said they are designing marketing and promotion programs in recognition of this being the final meet for the Inglewood racetrack.
- The Board authorized Santa Anita to add a purebred Arabian race on the undercard of the Breeders’ Cup program on November 1, subject to enabling legislation being signed by the Governor. The jockeys in the pari-mutuel wagering race will be licensed professionals.
- Commissioner Krikorian, chairman of the Mini-satellite Wagering Task Force Committee, reported on the August 23 meeting. He said stakeholders are discussing ways to increase the number of wagering facilities throughout the state. In a related matter, the Board approved a regulatory amendment to allow for the granting of licenses to mini-satellites for up to five years.
- Commissioner Derek, chairperson for the Medication and Track Safety Committee, reported on the September 18 meeting. She said the committee is forming an ad hoc committee to consider ways of improving security in stable areas.
- Commissioner Winner, chairman of the Jockey and Driver Welfare Committee, reported on the September 18 meeting. He said language will be provided to the full Board in October for proposed rules to require random drug and alcohol testing for racing participants and to require exercise riders to undergo an annual physical examination.