CYPRESS, Calif. (Sept. 24, 2016) – The California Horse Racing Board conducted its regular meeting Thursday, September 22, at Los Alamitos Race Course. Chairman Chuck Winner presided. Commissioners Madeline Auerbach, Steve Beneto, Jesse Choper, and Alex Solis also were in attendance.
The audio of this entire Board meeting is available on the CHRB Website (www.chrb.ca.gov) under the Webcast link. In brief:
- Executive Director Rick Baedeker reported that he, Chairman Winner, and other staff have been meeting with separate groups of jockeys, trainers, owners, veterinarians, and racetrack managements to discuss possible causes for equine fatalities and steps the industry and Board might take to further protect horses and riders. Chairman Winner described those meetings as being both candid and productive. Baedeker said he would report regularly on all safety initiatives taken or proposed.
- Chairman Winner reported that the term of Commissioner Richard Rosenberg has expired, so he will no longer be serving on the Board. The Chairman praised Rosenberg for his seven years of service and indicated that a more formal acknowledgement of his contributions will take place at the November 17 Board meeting.
- Santa Anita Vice President Joe Morris reported that approximately 1,000 video surveillance cameras have been placed in barns, roadways, and other strategic points within the facility to provide the highest level of “safety, integrity and transparency” at any racetrack in North America. Chairman Winner said he and other CHRB representatives toured the video control room and backstretch and agreed “it is the best surveillance system in racing” and helps provide an “equal playing field for everybody who plays by the rules.”
- The Board approved the license application for the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club to conduct a race meet in Del Mar from November 9 through December 6. Del Mar will be including a jackpot provision in its Pick 6. The distribution of Pick 6 pools will be 70 percent for tickets with all six winners (with a carryover provision), 15 percent for consolations, and 15 percent for a jackpot paid to any unique Pick 6 ticket (carried over when there is no single winner).
- The Board delayed allocation of the 2017 thoroughbred racing dates in Northern California until the October meeting in order to give stakeholders more time to attempt to reach an agreement on a consensus calendar. The Board previously approved the thoroughbred racing allocations for Southern California.
- The Board allocated 2017 racing dates for quarter horse racing at Los Alamitos from December 30, 2016, through December 17, 2017.
- The Board allocated 2017 racing dates for harness racing at Cal Expo from December 26, 2016, through May 21, 2017, and from October 1, 2017, through December 24, 2017.
- The Board approved for public notice a proposed permanent regulation to replace a current emergency regulation prohibiting the presence of clenbuterol in official urine test samples for all horses participating in quarter horse races.
- The Board approved for public notice proposed permanent regulations to replace current emergency regulations allowing racing secretaries, racing associations and fairs to make rules setting stricter standards for medication and other race conditions.