DEL MAR, Calif. (Nov. 21, 2015) -- The California Horse Racing Board conducted its regular meeting Thursday, November 19, at Del Mar Racetrack. Chairman Chuck Winner presided. Vice Chair Richard Rosenberg and Commissioners Madeline Auerbach, Jesse Choper, George Krikorian, and Alex Solis also were in attendance.
The audio of this entire Board meeting is available on the CHRB Website (www.chrb.ca.gov) under the Webcast link. In brief:
- The Board conditionally approved a license for the Los Angeles Turf Club (LATC) to conduct a race meet at Santa Anita Park beginning December 26 through July 10. LATC must provide a vanning and stabling agreement as well as agreements with the Thoroughbred Owners of California (TOC) and California Thoroughbred Trainers (CTT) in compliance with statutes. The conditional license will expire if the required documents are not received in the CHRB Sacramento office by Tuesday, December 1.
- The Board conditionally approved a license for the Pacific Racing Association (PRA) to conduct a race meet at Golden Gate Fields beginning December 26 through June 12. PRA must provide a vanning and stabling agreement as well as agreements with the TOC and CTT in compliance with statutes. The conditional license will expire if the required documents are not received in the CHRB Sacramento office by Tuesday, December 1.
- CHRB staff reported during the public comment portion of the meeting that although there were numerous problems experienced by customers, pari-mutuel clerks, and money room employs during the first week or two of the transition from Sportech to AmTote International, pari-mutuel managers and satellite supervisors are indicating that such problems were expected for a changeover of such magnitude and they fully expect the new totalizator wagering system to be running smoothly in a short time.
- Chairman Winner reported that the Stewards’ Committee met Tuesday, November 17, and that five jockeys and two Jockeys’ Guild representatives were invited to participate in the discussion of the rule governing use of the riding crop. Based on their comments as well as input from the public, owners, and trainers, the chairman created a committee to consider possible revisions to the rule.
- The Board approved the license for the Los Alamitos Horse Racing Association to conduct a thoroughbred meet at Los Alamitos beginning December 3 through December 20.
- The Board approved (renewed) the license application for the Game Play Network to conduct Advance Deposit Wagering.
- The Board gave final approval to a regulation amending the criteria to be used when considering the denial, suspension, or revocation of an occupational license and also approved a separate rule establishing criteria to be used to evaluate the rehabilitation of an applicant in such cases.
- The Board put over until the December 17 meeting consideration of a proposed regulatory amendment to require the voiding of claims for horses that are seen to have bled during a race.
- A representative of TVG reported on ownership, management and operations of the merged TVG and HRTV networks.
- The Board authorized the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club to distribute $130,387 in race day charity proceeds to nine beneficiaries.