DEL MAR, Calif. (Aug. 22, 2015) – The California Horse Racing Board conducted its regular meeting Thursday, August 20, at Del Mar Racetrack. Chairman Chuck Winner presided. Vice Chair Richard Rosenberg and Commissioners Madeline Auerbach, Steve Beneto, Jesse Choper, George Krikorian, and Alex Solis also were in attendance.
The audio of this entire Board meeting is available on the CHRB Website (www.chrb.ca.gov) under theWebcast link. In brief:
- The Board approved the 2016 racing calendars for all thoroughbred meets and fairs. These allocated dates include dark days between race meets. Actual racing dates within those timeframes will be determined when each meet is licensed.
- The Northern California racing calendar will begin December 26, 2015, at Golden Gate Fields through June 14, followed by dates at Pleasanton run by the Oak Tree Racing Association (June 15 through July 5), Cal Expo (July 6 through July 26), Santa Rosa (July 27 through August 16), Ferndale (August 17 through August 30) running concurrently with Golden Gate (August 17 through September 20), Stockton (September 21 through October 4), Fresno (October 5 through October 18), and Golden Gate (October 19 through December 20).
- The Southern California racing calendar will begin December 26, 2015, at Santa Anita Park through April 12, followed by dates at Los Alamitos (April 13 through May 3), Santa Anita (May 4 through July 12), Del Mar (July 13 through September 6), the Los Angeles County Fair at Los Alamitos (September 7 through September 27), Santa Anita (September 28 through November 8), Del Mar (November 9 through December 6), and Los Alamitos (December 7 through December 20).
- The Board referred back to the Medication and Track Safety Committee for further discussion a proposed regulatory amendment to require that authorized bleeder medication be administered only by independent, third-party veterinary professionals.
- The Board approved the license with five conditions for AmTote International to provide totalizator services for all California wagering locations. AmTote is scheduled to go online October 26 as the industry’s selected provider of totalizator services for the next 10 years.
- Executive Director Rick Baedeker reported that the next phase of the voluntary microchip program will begin next month by implanting the chips in horses stabled in Pleasanton. He also reported that handle from all sources for California horse racing is up 3.35 percent for the year.
- The Board approved the license application for Watch and Wager LLC to conduct a harness race meet at Cal Expo from October 24 through December 20.
- The Board approved the license application for the Pacific Racing Association to conduct a race meet at Golden Gate from October 22 through December 20.
- The Board approved the license application for the Big Fresno Fair to conduct a race meet from October 8 through October 18.
- The Board approved for public notice a proposed regulatory amendment to curtail and prevent excessive use of the whip in harness racing. This rule essentially codifies the house rule already in place at Cal Expo with the concurrence of management and horsemen.
- The Board approved an amendment to CHRB Rule 1843.2 that includes adding thresholds and penalty categories for cobalt in an official blood sample.
- The Board approved an amendment to CHRB Rule 1887 adding the owner as co-insurer equally with the trainer for the condition of a horse if that horse has not been under the care of a licensed trainer for at least seven days prior to the race.
- The Board authorized the distribution of $37,964 in race day charity proceeds by the Los Angeles Turf Club to 12 beneficiaries.